Re: Debian MIPS Port

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Justin Maurer wrote:

[Debian porting to MIPS arch.]
> So, what do people think? Is it something worth doing? IMHO it is, but I
> don't make the rules (yet). I really want to lead the project, and if
> something ever comes of it, there are tons of Linux hackers around here
> who have a short commute to my house.

A Debian port to the MIPS arch would certainly be a good thing, since it's
one of the only missing Debian ports to Linux supported archs.

The best may to help Debian to achieve this is probably to set up a MIPS
machine under linux and to connect it to the net so interested people can
ask for an account and come to compile packages. (Debian developers can
already get accounts on m68k, powerpc, sparc, sparc64 & arm machines (no
alpha AFAIK)).

A _very_ preliminary & outdated (~ 1 yr old) Debian/MIPS port can be found
at ftp://ftp.waw.com/pub/linux/deb-mips/.

	Cordialement,

--
- Vincent RENARDIAS    vincent@{{waw,pipo}.com,{debian,openhardware}.org} -
- Debian/GNU Linux:        Open Hardware:              WAW:               -