Debian MIPS Port

Well, as it goes now, I was inspired by spam. That and the fact the
SGI/Linux stuff the people at SGI have going is very Red Hat-centric, in
terms of userland stuff.

Assuming the necessary kernel work is there, I'd ideally like to purchase
an SGI Indigo and get underway on porting Debian to the MIPS
architechture.

I've been doing short queries on the subject, and just subscribed to
linux-kernel in anticpation of querying it as to  what the status of the
R3000 port is, as I really can't afford anything more. Of course the R3000
33MHz is no speed demon (not to mention 32-bit), but oh well...

I've also requested information on recieving a grant from Linux
International's Linux Developer Fund. But I fear this may be arrogant as
Debian already *has* a money-giving organization - SPI. I have heard SPI
is pretty rabid about the UltraSPARC port, however.

So, what do people think? Is it something worth doing? IMHO it is, but I
don't make the rules (yet). I really want to lead the project, and if
something ever comes of it, there are tons of Linux hackers around here
who have a short commute to my house. Many of the tux.org folk live around
here. I live in Arlington, Virginia, FWIW - home of the Pentagon,
Arlington National Cemetary, NSF, a few minutes from MAE EAST, and a
*very* short drive/walk from D.C/Maryland.

feedback! please!
justin
http://slashdot.org/