Re: SUMMARY: pentium optimized debian discussion

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, Joey Hess wrote:

> Yes that's right, the pentium optimized version seems to run a lot faster on
> a 486. The only explination I can think of is that it was built with egcs,
> while the 386 version was built with old gcc. Maybe egcs generates
> significantly better code. It's too late here for me to follow up on it, but
> it'd be interesting to build an i386 gzip with egcs and see how it compares.

You can't compare egcs to gcc 2.7, egcs is SO MUCH BETTER that it's not
even funny :P I think it's fairly obvios that simply be recompiling
everything with egcs will get a stunning speed increase on older machines
and is enough to offset any nominal loss from pentium vs 386 timings.

I vote that we dump the multi-arch proposal and just penitum optimize with
pegcs some critical tools like tar, gzip and maybe dpkg.

Joey, what was the size difference for the gzip binary?

Jason