Re: SUMMARY: pentium optimized debian discussion

Guy Maor wrote:
> > I actually don't belive there will be a measuable slowdown on 486's. (386s
>
> Neither do I.  I don't even have a 486 or 386 to test it on.

I tested it on my 486. The results astonished me.

I gzipped a 555 mb log file. With gzip -9, it compresses to under 7 mb. I
did multiple runs and took the fastest run.

i386 optimized best:

118.85user 0.44system 2:12.56elapsed 89%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

pentium optimized best:

45.92user 0.55system 0:51.75elapsed 89%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

Yes that's right, the pentium optimized version seems to run a lot faster on
a 486. The only explination I can think of is that it was built with egcs,
while the 386 version was built with old gcc. Maybe egcs generates
significantly better code. It's too late here for me to follow up on it, but
it'd be interesting to build an i386 gzip with egcs and see how it compares.

It'd also be nice to hear from someone with a 386.

--
see shy jo