Re: pdksh -\> posixness\?

Hi,

 Herbert> Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> wrote:

 >> Finally, could someone spell out for me what about ash is non-posix?
 >> The posix documentation isn't freely available, or I'd look it up
 >> myself.

 Herbert> It certainly is freely available.

	That happens not to be the case. POSIX, and other ISO/IEEE
 standards are not freely available since the standards bodies make
 money from selling them. Please do no spread misinformation.

 Herbert> http://www.rdg.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/7908799/toc.htm

	This is the "Single UNIX" or the UNIX 98 spec; which is owned
 by the Open Group. The single UNIX spec goes a lot further than POSIX
 does; though it is not strictly a superset (the differences that I am
 [painfully] aware of are in the threads spec).

	The Open Group would be happy to learn that a consortium
 setup by companies to combat sun amd microsoft has the same standing
 as inernational standards bodies.

	Are you aware that unlike ISO, where people from different
 nations can participate, and IEEE, where members get to vote, one has
 to pay big bucks to participate in TOG working groups?

	Anyway, it is easier to achieve POSIX compliance than it is to
 get UNIX98 branding, though conformance to both is desirable for
 Debian.

	manoj
--
 A shortcut is the longest distance between two points. Professor
 Charles P. Issawi