Re: Intent to move mysql-base and mysql-dev to main

David Welton <davidw@gate.cks.com> writes:

> Why main?  What good is the client without the server?  Can you use it
> with other databases or something?

This was my first though when the idea was first proposed several
months ago. Even if not on your own machine, you need to have a non-free
server installed somewhere to connect to.

However, there is also a shared library that several other packages
link to (and thus they depend on mysql-base). Clarifying the free
status of the shared library makes it clear that these packages do not
have the licensing problems that come with linking GPL code to
non-free headers and libraries. For example, someone (I forget who) is
working on a mysql hook for the exim MTA. If this were to be
implemented in the main exim package, linking to the mysql shared
library, would exim then have to be moved to contrib if the mysql
shared library were in non-free?

Putting the client binary in main doesn't have these kinds of
consequences for other packages, but makes it clear that you're free
to hack on the source code if you want.

Scott
--
Scott Hanson <shanson@shcon.com>  <shanson@debian.org>