Re: Several reasons why debian should not use bash for /bin/sh

Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> wrote:
> I set my sh link to point to ash last night.  All seems well so far.
> Will reboot when I get home.  I have had one problem.  A configure
> script from a program I downloaded called /bin/sh, yet it declared a
> function.  To my knowledge bourne does not support functions.  Changing
> the #! line to call bash instead worked.

bourne shell on solaris supports functions.  ash supports functions:

$ ash -c 'f(){ echo $2 $1;};f i h'
h i
$

I don't have any docs (that I'm aware of) that say exactly what is and
isn't supported by posix shells.  Yet, it must have been something else
in that script that was causing the problem.

--
Raul