Re: Several reasons why debian should not use bash for /bin/sh

On Wed, 29 Jul 1998 15:24:54 -0700 , Chris Ulrich wrote:

> [Assuming /bin/sh == bash problems]

>Any script that needs an extension that is not in traditional Bourne shell
>but which calls /bin/sh is buggy and should be fixed.

Agreed.  Is there an automated way of checking whether a script uses any
bash (or even ksh) extensions when it starts with #!/bin/sh ?  If so, I
suggest it is added to lintian, which should suggest it is re-written to
use /bin/bash.

(Indeed, looking at /usr/share/lintian/checks/scripts, it's suggested in
the comment at the top of the file.)

 -- Christopher Reed, Selwyn College, Cambridge --
 E-Mail: cr212@cam.ac.uk  WWW: http://dura.sel.cam.ac.uk/ [~cr212/]
 r2 T1 cSEL dCS hEn/Chi A4 S+ C*$+++L/UdP W+++ y# a VTsj (Cantab) 1.0
"The winter wind will be much colder Now that you're not here"