Is this expected ssh behavior?

It seems difficult to impossible to get ssh to run commands in my
"normal" environment.  I realized there was a problem when I noticed
that my emacs launched via "ssh somehost emacs" was creating files
with a umask of 022 when I'm quite careful on some machines to make
sure my default umask is 007 in (I thought) all cases.

After poking around it looked like ~/.ssh/rc was what I wanted.  I
could just source /etc/environment and ~/.bashrc from there, and I'd
be OK.  However, I found this isn't effective.  Any actions in
~/.ssh/rc are ignored after the script exits.  This means that you
don't even get X11R6 in your path:

  $ ssh somehost xclock
  bash: xclock: command not found

It looks like you *can* set variables in ~/.ssh/environment, but
that's not the same as making sure that any commands you run under ssh
run in your "normal" environment.  I thought that I might get around
this with

  $ ssh somehost bash -c xlock

but no luck...

At the very least, I'd say that ssh not having /usr/X11R6/bin in ssh's
default path is a bug.