Re: package configuration design

Wichert Akkerman (wichert@wiggy.ml.org):
> There are two types of frontends possible: interactive and non-interactive.
> Interactive frontends allow the user to answers questions and see messages.
> Non-interactive frontends get all information from a database (SQL, LDAP,
> db, textfiles, etc.). If a non-interactive frontend is used and the
> configmodule refuses to accept the information the frontend retrieves, it can
> exit with a non-zero exit code, indicating to dpkg it's not possible to install
> the package with the current configurationdatabase. Both frontends use the
> library mentioned before.

How about stacking frontends? I imagine a setup where a site-wide LDAP or
SQL is asked first, if it doesn't provide sufficient information a local
textfile is used and as last resort an interactive frontend is consulted (if
possible).

Maybe real stacking is overkill and implementing such behavior with a
meta-frontend is more appropriate, but I think this still needs to be kept
in mind (eg. for checking if input is valid).

Rainer

--
KeyID=58341901 fingerprint=A5 57 04 B3 69 88 A1 FB  78 1D B5 64 E0 BF 72 EB