Re: CD README's

> We also set ourselves up for an "Official" failure mode that will be just
> as undesirable. When a vendor produces a "bad" Debian release, most of the
> karma ends up on the vendor. When we do it ourselves, it all ends up as
> ours.

I think you're absolutely right.

I think next time round we need have a set of tests which determine whether a
CD counts as being official, and that should determine whether the
``Official'' tag can be used.

The CD images are a pain to distribute, which means that they take longer to
get into the hands of the CD vendors.  If instead we provide a set of tests
that prove the validity of a CD image (assuming that they can be written) then
vendors could make their own images, and would still be confident that the
images were valid.  They could also vary the contents of the images, as long
as they followed policy enough to satisfy the tests.

If a rescue style disk were built with the CD tests on it, so that vendors
did not need to have debian installed to run the CD tests, this should allow
any vendor to verify their images prior to producing thousands of copies of
them.

Cheers, Phil.