Re: My impressions installing hamm [was Re: tech proposal to make manoj somewhat happy.]

Sudhakar Chandrasekharan <thaths@netscape.com> wrote:
> supported.  The installation went perfectly.  Strangely, I could not get
> to the network via the 3Com card.  I later ralized that this was because
> I had got my static IP address wrong during installation.  But I did not
> know it at that moment.  For a lark I decided to try the PCNet32 card (I

I wonder if we could run tcpdump (or something similar) against
the ethernet interface to give some kind of hint about ip addresses.
[We can't do this off the rescue disk, and in a number of reasonable cases
there would be no significant information, but we could fairly easily
report lowest and highest local ip addresses in use, and what addresses
seem to be acting as gateways.  I dunno if there are any arp-like queries
we could use to find ip addresses when we do not yet have one.. though
we could also do something arp-like to sanity check that no one else is
using our newly assigned address... all this presumes that dhpc is not
in use or at least that a static ip address is desired.]

--
Raul