Weekend upgrade seems to mess up Locale files?

This weekend I did an "apt-get upgrade" and went to bed.  When I woke up
something had been upgraded that is resulting in unusual locale
behavior.

When I start netscape, gnome-midnight commander, or perl, I get a
message that the "C" locale is not supported.  I set the LANG env.
variable to "en", and then "en_US", none of which were "supported".  The
problem may be in Xlib, since netscape relays an error message that
"Xlib:  "en_US" locale not supported.  Defaulting to C Locale."
and then "C locale is not supported."

Then netscape fails with a bus error and crashes.

Gzilla works fine.

I think this problem is limited to things compiled against older Libc6,
but not sure.

Anyone else experience this, or have I got something set incorrectly?

Thanks,

-Brent