Re: RH and GNOME

Scott McDermott wrote:

> Enrique Zanardi on Sat, Jul 25, 1998 at 11:39:08AM +0100:
> > Key ring: '/usr/doc/dpkg/developer-keys.pgp', looking for user ID "McDermott".
> > Type Bits/KeyID    Date       User ID
> > 0 matching keys found.
> > ~$
> Is the list for developers only?

No, users can gain great info from this list, and give out ideas for
developers to act on.  I have seen many advances from topics on this
list, and I have learned a great deal about the inner workings by
lurking on this list.

> > For the record, I care.
>
> Well, I'm happy for you.  I guess then, waste your energy, to no
> avail.

I believe this thread is started by vehemently demanding that a
"newbie-friendly" interface should be included in debian, yet that
person has no code to possibly back his/her suggestion.  Small ideas
are good ones, and usually implemented.  Large pipe-dream additions
are different.  If one were to pop on to a mailing list and call
people idiots because Debian didn't run Win 95/98/NT software in the
X environment, how would you respond?  How would you respond if they
mentioned they had a beta package that did Win32 on Linux/X?

Where this got ugly is that people get _mad_ because others don't
want to do their 'work' for them.

That is my point.

I agree that Debian could possibly have a 'nicer' install
interface.  I have seen more than a few people turn to RedHat or
Caldera, simply because the install was easier.  Once they learned
Linux, they wanted Debian, because it made more sense.  At this
time, unfortunately, you can't have the best of both worlds.  I have
no clue where to start to make a "Newbie friendly" interface to
Debian, I couldn't even define one.  I speak to people all the time
that think Win95 is 'hard'.  What about those who thought DOS/Win
3.11 was just too complicated (hence Win95/98 et al).  What lengths
must you go to?  If you make the install a cakewalk, where do they
stand when they have to _use_ the system..  ("How do I start
Word?!?!")

later,
troy

Troy Hanson