Re: Another goal for slink

On Sun, Jul 26, 1998 at 10:56:22PM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> Another goal for slink: we shouldn't accept into contrib any GPLed
> code which is linked with code which doesn't meet GPL's criteria
> for distribution.
>
> Unfortunately, everything in slink's contrib right now has this
> problem.  I think these should be moved aside into some holding
> area until this problem can be resolved.
>
> I know there's some people who think I'm being silly about this.
> But there's just too many problems, both potential and current, with
> our past approach.

OK.. I maintain www-mysql, which is GPL but links to mysql, which
is non-free (hence www-mysql is in contrib). Can you tell me if this
summary is correct, so that I can contact him?

* The GPL says you can only link to non-GPL(*) components where those
  components are standard system software (eg Motif).
  ((*) non-GPL, or non-open source?)

* MySQL is clearly not standard system software, and non-free

Therefore the GPL as applied to www-mysql is invalid. To fix this,
the upstream maintainer should say that the software is GPL,
with the added exception that you may link to mysql.

Is this correct?

thanks,
Hamish