Re: tech proposal to make manoj somewhat happy.

On Sun, Jul 26, 1998 at 01:40:28PM -0500, Petra, Kevin J Poorman wrote:
> deffinatly... can you think of a way to time the decompression time of say
> a 5meg directory ... wonder which has the best compression method...
> something for me to look into.

I took the 2.0.35 kernel tree (with a bunch of object files, it's not
make cleaned), and tested decompression with .tar.gz and .zip using
tar, gzip, and unzip from Debian. It's roughly 10 megs compressed.

My machine is an AMD K5-P166. Here are the results:

(Using time. User and sys are the entries we're interested in.
 I don't believe waiting for the hard disk is included in user/sys.)

tar zxvf:
real    0m51.094s
user    0m11.470s
sys     0m9.220s

zip:
real    0m45.374s
user    0m10.060s
sys     0m5.240s

It appears that zip is slightly faster, at least for this example.

--
* Gavin Lewis  zif@kalifornia.com (preferred)                    *
*              zif@hax0r.org      (alias to above, could vanish) *