Re: tech proposal to make manoj somewhat happy.

Petra, Kevin J Poorman <ewigin@SoftHome.net> wrote:
> Debian should commit to do any or all of the following.
>
> 1: a totaly redone install procedure, with a optional newbie install with
> help screens detailing exactly what is hapening and what informaion is
> needed so that complete newbies can install debian.

More help is probably a good idea.  Any specific areas you think should
be addressed?

> 	a: the gui system for install should probably be based on w96 (a
> small 2 color windowing system)
> 	b: a port of apt to w96 or whatever gui chosen should be looked
> into.

*shrug*

> 	c: the console install should be completly rewriten to include
> better error handleing and faster base install suport... mabye move from a
> tar archive to a cpio, or ar, or even zip archive...

Er... this would be faster?  I was not aware of any significant speed
difference.

We do need some good docs on failure modes though, so we can do more
about them.  Maybe you could help compile such docs?

> Of the above, on the part about useing zip could even remotly be
> considered a compromise to techincal quality. (and even then only
> becuase I don't know that zips licens is.

Er.. before we switch, how about verifying that the switch buys us
something significant?

> debian should also have a firm and well known and loved logo. a contest
> should be held for this ... possibly debian should do as gimp does and
> offer a reward. ...

I think some people are working on logo stuff.  I dunno where they're
at on it.

> debian should also work to switch from the archaic man page format, by
> provideing as standard packages, the packages that will allow man pages to
> be served as html pages. useing lynx or kfm, netscape... ect.

Er.. there's a massive project that is doing even better than this
(integrating multiple document formats, and indexing documentation).

> I fail to see how this could be a compromise either...

Check out the mailing list archives, this one has been discussed.

> as for error loging and handle ing all errors should be writen to a file
> and then tailed on a empty vt for console isntalls and to the root window
> for the gui/newbie install.

Hmm... I dunno who's working on this. ?

> hows that for a tech proposal?

You've got some decent ideas in there.  Except for w96 though, it
looks like a consolidation of some previous ideas.  Um.. it helps when
you propose something technical that you have a well defined purpose
as part of it.  And when talking about optimizations (speed improvements,
for example) it helps to have measured the relative speeds of whatever
it is you're proposing.

How's that for a response?

--
Raul