Re: RFC: pentium optimized debian

On Fri, Jul 24, 1998 at 02:19:52AM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> 	There was some talk on the list a few months ago about whether a
> pentium optimized version of debian makes sense. Some points against are
> that:
>
>   - pentium optimized binaries tend to be bigger
>   - only some packages will benefit from pentium optimization
>
> 	Some points in favor are that:
>
>   - pentium optimized binaries of things that are CPU bound tend to be at
>     least 10% faster by my benchmarks. Stampede linux claims 10 - 30% speed
>     improvement.

The pgcc group claim something like 5->15%, 30% in really exceptional cases
with lots of hand tuning.  Now that egcs and gcc 8.1 are out I imagine that
these figures are lower.  I emailed Stampede against this and other outright
lies in their webpage and nothing was done about it.

>   - PR value.

[snip - great work on dpkg!]

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Debian Linux  http://www.debian.org  The superior Linux distribution