Re: tech proposal to make manoj somewhat happy.

On Sat, Jul 25, 1998 at 10:16:52PM -0500, Petra, Kevin J Poorman wrote:

> 1: a totaly redone install procedure, with a optional newbie install with
> help screens detailing exactly what is hapening and what informaion is
> needed so that complete newbies can install debian.

I would go for this...definitly some documenting can be better
maybe have more than one install? I think that being on floppies
can present a problem (disk space)

I have a few ideas for this: 1 is from seeing "Tom's Unix on a floppy"
This package (available from Sunsite somewhere)
compresses everything AND formats the disk for 1.7 MB to cram
as much as possible on one disk. It is slow to load and does require
a bit of RAM to run...but..think what could be crammed on.

I think some real newbie explanations would be nice...other than that
the install is good as is.

another idea woul dbe to allow a FTP install" of some sort...
RedHat does this and quite frankly I think a modified version
would work great...
A single "Special" boot disk which just noots up and does the install...
but can leave out some things...and instead has both ftp and tftp.
And has options to allow the use of those to get the drivers and base files
for the install.
(this comes from my battle to get my SUN station workinf...man im glad
I got the floppy drive fixed...NFS install just didn't work)

> Of the above, on the part about useing zip could even remotly be
> considered a compromise to techincal quality. (and even then only becuase
> I don't know that zips licens is.

hmm zip? AFAIK zip uses LZW (or some other patented compression) and thus
can't be used... gzip works better anyway..and is free

> debian should also work to switch from the archaic man page format, by
> provideing as standard packages, the packages that will allow man pages to
> be served as html pages. useing lynx or kfm, netscape... ect.

if youw anna see somethin gother than man pages im all for it (more docs are
alwyasy good) BUT... don't you dare take my man away (hmm...that
just doesn't sound right... ;) )
also... man pages CAN be served as web pages with the package
dwww ...it is great ...in fact,..it seerves allot more than man pages