Re: RFC: pentium optimized debian

> john@dhh.gt.org wrote:
> > Raul Miller writes:
> > > Since we're refering to computer, the trademark law applies, thus: it
> > > becomes a battle with intel whether the name is generic or not.
> >
> > Nonsense.  You can refer specifically to the Intel Pentium cpu without any
> > legal concern at all (Intel is also a trademark, BTW).  The *only* thing
> > Intel's trademark on Pentium permits them to do is to forbid you to label
> > cpu's that you are *selling* 'Pentium'.
>
> In that case, could somebody explain to me why debian-ultrasparc was
> renamed in debian-ultralinux?  (I know that I have renamed it, but upon
> request.)  I was told that it were copyright/trademark concerns.  Was
> that request sent too fast?

Not an exact explanation, but I run the Sparc/Linux web site and most
of the Sparc renaming has stemmed from my "discussions" with SPARC
International's lawyers.  They objected the to term "SparcLinux" and
the term Sparc/Linux as well as Linux/Sparc, etc.  The only acceptable
term was "Linux for the SPARC based microprocessors"  Their rationale
was that people would think that SPARC Intl. was officially sponsoring
it if it was called Sparc/Linux.  They also objected to _any_ url (ftp
or http-wise) that had "sparc" and "linux" in it.

Legally I can see their point with "SparcLinux", but I don't think
they have a leg to stand on for the rest.  But it comes down to how
badly do you want to fight it.  After arguing with them for quite a
while it was easier to rename it S/Linux rather than going to court
over it.  They don't seem to understand the benefit to the SPARC name
that linux provides, or the effect bad publicity can have.

Jim

Jim Mintha, Geography System Administrator, U.B.C.
mintha@geog.ubc.ca, or jmintha@debian.org  <www.geog.ubc.ca/jim>
Home: 604 731-7240  Work: 604 822-2174  Fax: 604 822-6150

Where you want to be tomorrow... Debian GNU/Linux <www.debian.org>