User friendliness as a goal and a thing to be worked on

[ Please don't Cc: public replies to me. ]

I'd like to join this discussion for a brief moment, if I may, even if
my own opinion is rather fixed already.

Ease-of-use is good, whether you define it as ease-of-learning,
ease-of-getting-things-done, ease-of-installation, ease-of-system-
administration, or any combination. I doubt anyone disagrees with this.
However, technical quality is, I think, more important for Debian. That
is: it is more important that things work correctly and securely than that
things are easy to use. While I have several subjective reasons for this,
I offer the following as an objective one: Debian has relatively little
total man-power for development[1], and the man-power can be used more
efficiently if things work. Thus, it's better to do the technically Right
Thing, since then less man-power needs to be used later to fix things.

Ease-of-use will be improved after we get things to work. Whether it is
a graphical installation system or something else, it will get done when
there are enough idle, interested developers available. It is good to
suggest things that may need to be done, so idle developers, if any, will
have something to be interested in. However, suggestions should be made
politely. "Do not meddle in the affairs of Debian developers, for they are
subtle and quick to anger", as the saying goes.  If the volunteers who
develop Debian do not become interested in doing something, pushing the
issue won't help. Fact-based, polite, intelligent and brief discussions,
filled with concrete suggestions, are always welcome, of course.

Given the available amount of man-power, Debian needs to concentrate
on system administration issues, rather than end-user issues (leaving
end-user issues to Gnome, KDE, and other projects). I agree with Manoj
that we have done that, and offer as proof my experience of administering
about eight systems running Debian 1.3.1 over the past year. I have spent
about two working days per system on system administration related to
Debian, i.e., tasks such as initial installation, bug fixes, investigating
problems caused by Debian, etc; not counting reading log files every day,
arranging backups, etc.[2] If Debian was bad from a system administration
point of view, I wouldn't get any real work done.

Debian system administration still requires one to understand how a Unix
system in general works on a high level (the various sub-systems and their
interactions), and any configuration not done with the Debian-provided
setup tools (e.g., smailconfig) requires one to understand and edit arcane
text files. A typical home-user of Debian, whose system administration
needs are very simple, would benefit if we could hide some more of his
common tasks behind easier tools. It would even be nice to have all of our
tools use a common user interface. This will happen, even if it happens
slowly, and the only way to make it happen faster is to do it oneself.

These days, I'm also unimpressed by complaints about Linux being too
hard to learn or install. Earlier this year I had a discussion with a
blind Linux user, and he told me, among other things, this:

	Taking the plunge into linux takes quite some time and, in
	my case, much effort as there is no sufficiently knowledgable
	person around to help dealing with braille-specific issues. For
	the more and this was really bad, before getty runs I had to do
	all installation without screen output. No boot disk ever sends
	its output to a com port so I couldn't follow the boot prompts. I
	had to find out about the exact boot procedures via text files on
	the net and via newsgroups  (using a unix terminal account at my
	provider's) and then remember each event in sequence using a tape
	recorder. Fdisk was a hard one, as was everything that followed
	(up to finally creating a working gettying system). It took me
	more than two years but now I'm actually really proud to have
	made it this far.

I don't ridicule anyone who has problems when encountering problems
too difficult for his level of expertise, but I do prefer to help
people willing to help themselves -- and I admire people like my blind
correspondent who manage to get things done despite everything being
against them.

Lars,
who is, probably, not going to participate further on this topic,
to avoid being subtle.

[1] Even with hundreds of developers, the total amount of man-power
is fairly small, since most developers only maintain a couple of
packages, and do not wish to spend a lot of time on Debian.

[2] I've been called a liar by a person administering Windows machines,
when citing this figure. :-)  (It helps that my users haven't required
constant updates of software, so our systems have been almost unchanged
for a year.)