Re: RFC: pentium optimized debian

Joey Hess writes:
 > 	I propose a compromise: instead of splitting off a whole new
 > pentium architecture, which would double building time, etc, we just set up
 > a small collection of pentium optimized .debs. This could be organized on
 > the ftp site as a directory tree with many symlinks back to i386 packages,
 > and a few pentium optimized debs.

I think it can even be easier than that - IMHO the symlinks are
useless.  It would perhaps require some additional work on dpkg
methods, but my idea is to have optimized package in something like
another dist, ie. somewhat like contrib, or better, like what slink is
(was ?), a complement to hamm.

The goal of this would be to treat pentium-optimized Packages file as
an override of i386 Packages file.  This would spare the symlinks.
But it should probably be somewhat handled by the dpkg/apt methods, to
allow to select only valid optimized dists.

Just my .02 euro ...
--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@mygale.org> | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
isp-email:   <ydirson@a2points.com> |     support Debian GNU/Linux: