Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 15:11:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: "James G. MacKinnon" <jgm@qed.econ.queensu.ca>
To: Colin Telmer <telmerco@qed.econ.queensu.ca>
Subject: Debian 2.0 on Bev's machine

Well, I had a few adventures today.
.
Now the bad news. There were serious problems with the installation. On
several occasions during the installation of packages, something seemed to
go into a loop, spewing "expr: syntax error" on the screen, and I had to
manually kill it from another console. I am not quite sure what packages
were affected. I think they were mainly X servers that we did not want
anyway. (How should I report this? I am sorry to be a bit vague about what
happened. But if anyone just picks "Scientific Workstation" and tries to
install everything, they should encounter the same thing).

Also, there are problems configuring Emacs, although just what they are, I
am not sure. Emacs does seem to work.

Bev chose the "Scientific Workstation" option, which was a mistake. There
is just too much stuff to install all at once. It is simply overwhelming
for a new user, or even for me, to follow what is happening.

There were minor problems with teTeX (it failed to install the first time,
but did so fine the second, and it seems to work).

All the best, James.

James G. MacKinnon                       Department of Economics
    phone: 613 545-2293                  Queen's University
      Fax: 613 545-2257                  Kingston, Ontario, Canada
    Email: jgm@qed.econ.queensu.ca       K7L 3N6