Re: what about delaying hamm release

On Thu, Jul 23, 1998 at 05:54:18PM +0200, Michael Bramer wrote:
> > The reason is that X packages are just literally not ready. Every new
> > release introduces new bugs. Packages are not tested and tend to fail
> > on new installs.
> >
> > Installation of X is probably the most difficult part of installation
> > and installation errors even in the case when all dependencies are met
> > will again give us an image of distribution impossible to install.
>
> Get this version or and old version. What say Branden? Branden, what is the
> 'best' version?

3.3.2.2-4, which was uploaded to Incoming yesterday.  There do not appear
to be any significant issues with it, but it hasn't been widely tested (it
works without a hitch on my box, though).  I can't say I blame people for
not downloading it and trying it out, but given our release deadline...

Anyway, I don't think there *is* a good stable candidate to back up to.
All the previous versions of 3.3.2.2 have had annoying maintainer script
errors and before that, there are unpatched security holes that have been
widely known about since at least May 24th.

Seriously, I wouldn't have kept doing builds of this damn thing if we'd
reached a point where I could be happy with it.  *So far* I have heard of
no show-stoppers in -4.

It fixes:
  *) that endless 'expr: syntax error' thing
  *) the warning many folks are getting about /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc (which
     isn't really a big deal -- this warning is issued by some of my paranoid
     checks in the postinst)
  *) the preinst's ignoring of the user's request to NOT stop xdm and xfs
     during the upgrade

I do apologize if I have inconvenienced anyone or single-handedly delayed
the release.  Please understand that I adopted this package RIGHT BEFORE
the first freeze and spent quite a while just learning about it before I
could make serious changes (heck, I *still* have a lot to learn).  A lot of
the super-complicated things I try to fix that wind up breaking things
elsewhere (nice butterfly effect) are the result of some design decisions
in the original packaging which, years later, don't look so good.

I'm really itching to modularize X a lot more (even at the source code
level, which should make Jason Gunthorpe -- who I can count on to chastize
me for releasing a new version of xbooks every time -- happy.).

And don't forget, folks, I'm always receptive to suggestions, and
especially patches that fix bugs.

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |
Purdue University                   |           //     // //  /     /