Re: dpkg NMU for slink

On Thu, Jul 23, 1998 at 10:19:56AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> If dpkg would understand that variable (does it understand?) then you
> can easily set it *before* you call dselect or apt.
>
> Unfortunately I feel that dpkg doesn't understand it.  Please check
> the archives of debian-dpkg and submit an appropriate patch.  I think
> this is the easiest and fastest way to get it done.

Since a bug was pointed out to me in my NMU, I intend to upload
another; but before I do so I wanted to check with this groupp about
one thing.

A lot of the things I'm fixing are known problems, some of which
patches have been submitted for, some of which are new, some of which
are simply known.  They've been ignored for one reason or another.  Is
there any objection to my fixing, for instance, the fact that --root
does not work in the presence of maintainer scripts?  According to the
BTS, Ian knows about the problem and has simply not had time to fix it.
However, I fairly urgently need this functionality in the PPC port.

I know that NMUs are something to be kept to a minimum; but is it more
evil to fix bugs in someone else's package or be handicapped by their
presence?

Dan