Re: KDE in hamm - let's have a vote

Hi,

 Gregory> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> writes:

 >> Breaking the law is not a matter of voting. If we do not have
 >> the right to distribute the binaries, we should not be. And I think
 >> without the rider Raul proposed, we can't distribute them.

 Gregory> So now we've been explicitly granted permission by one of
 Gregory> the core developers to distribute KDE. If he has the
 Gregory> authority to do so that would definitely qualify to put it
 Gregory> in non-free at the very least.

	I do not think that one person has the right to give such
 authority. You have to ask all copyright holders for such permisssion.

 Gregory> So the remaining questions are:

 Gregory> How does authority to change licensing issues work in a
 Gregory> "team" of free software programmers? I'm willing to assume
 Gregory> accepting the word of a single developer is a good faith
 Gregory> effort to comply.

	I think that would be a wrong assumption.

 Gregory> Is there any other GPL'd software incorporated in KDE
 Gregory> packages that the KDE developers don't own the rights
 Gregory> to.

	Yes.

 Gregory> Raul's comments sound bad, but I don't know which
 Gregory> packages that code was in, or how much code is involved. Nor
 Gregory> do I particularly feel like checking.

	That is a poor defence: "Someone pointed out the problems woth
 the distribution, but I preffered to ignore them, becuase I did not
 see it with my own eyes, and I did not feel like checking".

	You can't just turn Nelson's eye on a breach of license and
 hope that if we don't investigate, after irregularities have been
 pointed out, that somehow it shall all turn out well in the
 end. Euphemism is also rarely an acceptable defense.

	manoj
--
 "GOTO statement considered harmful" Dijkstra, title to a letter in
 CACM 11, 3 (March, 1968)