Re: KDE in hamm - let's have a vote

Hi,
>>"Jim" == Jim Pick <jim@jimpick.com> writes:

 Jim> I'm alarmed that some people want to pull KDE out of hamm.  I'm
 Jim> not in favour of that.  As long as it's not in "main", I'm quite
 Jim> happy with it.

	The concern really is whether we are legally allowed to
 distribute the binaries. And that is not our decision to make, as you
 point out. If we have not been given the right to distribute the
 binaries, we should not.

	As you so rightly point out, we have no right to tell the KDE
 folks what license to put on their code. We just have to ensure that
 we can indeeed distribute the binaries. If we can't we can't. Right?

	Indeed, we should not be in the business of providing
 alternative interpretations of the original license. If the license
 is such that we can't distribute KDE, we should not. We seem to be in
 perfect agreement.

 Jim> A lot of work went into the KDE packages.  I think we should respect
 Jim> that, and not play politics with them.

	Exactly. If we are not given the right to distribute the
 binaries, we should pull them out of Debian.

 Jim> Not only that, leaving them out will damage the marketability of
 Jim> Debian.

	That is irrelevant. We should not be breaking the law to
 increase marketability.

 Jim> We don't have to be so darned rigid with our principles when
 Jim> we are dealing with stuff outside of "main".

	On the contrary. There is no such thing as partially
 pregnant. We should not really be compromising our principles.

 Jim> Before pulling the packages out of hamm - I'd like to have the
 Jim> developers vote on it.  I suspect that the people who want to pull KDE
 Jim> are a very vocal minority.

	Breaking the law is not a matter of voting. If we do not have
 the right to distribute the binaries, we should not be. And I think
 without the rider Raul proposed, we can't distribute them.

	manoj

--
 To think is human, to compute, divine.