Re: text adventures

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> On Wed, 22 Jul 1998, Philip Hands wrote:

> > I'd have thought the interpreters can go in main, especially if
> > there is an adventure compiler that allows freeware adventures
> > (game files) to be written.

> I know of no adventure builders that produce infocom data file format.
> (there are several that let you build text based adventure games, but not
> infocom)

"inform" does this and is available as a Debian package. (In non-free.)

  http://www.gnelson.demon.co.uk/inform.html

And Debian has some packages of Infocom format games that were made
with these tools: so-far, gsn-curses, gsn-jigsaw, weather, tatctae,
gumshoe.

Most, if not all of these have "not for profit" clauses in their
licences.  Even a GPL'd game built with inform would have to go in
contrib, since inform is in non-free. (Also has a non-profit clause,
athough compiled games can be for-profit.)

IIRC, there is a free assembler from a lower-level language to z-code
files.

Steve
dunham@cps.msu.edu