Re: RH and GNOME

On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Zed Pobre wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Kysh Dragon wrote:
>
> >Here's an experiment for the masses.. go to www.redhat.com and find
> >information, within a few clicks, that RedHat is available for free
> >download. Heck, find Linux referred to as a free operating system anywhere
> >on the front page!
>
>     I have personal reasons to dislike Redhat (one of their releases
> completely trashed my system), but this irritates me.  Did you even try?
> It took me thirty seconds to find the package download area.
> Click the following, starting from http://www.redhat.com
>
> Support [on the bottom]
>   or
> Installation Support [on the left side toolbar]
>

> Package Listing
>

> You will find, emblazoned in a large font, up on the top of the screen:
>

>     Red Hat Linux Package Listings
>     This archive hosts 871 RPMs representing 1101 MBytes of data
>
> along with packages sorted by category, name, architecture, etc.
>

>     That's two clicks.

And that's not telling you how to download and install RedHat the
distribution, or that said distribution is free. That's like saying you
should go to www.tucows.com to download Windows 95.

> Employers control what you do with their products, on their equipment,
> on their time or in their name.  They do not have any right to what you
> do on your own time on your own equipment in your own name.

The non-compete agreement I signed when I agreed to work for a large
company in Virginia had a clause such as this -- Anything created by me
during term of their employment was considered to be their intellectual
property. That is not an uncommon clause.

-Kysh