Re: GPL & KDE

On 18-Jul-98 Raul Miller wrote:
> KDE doesn't, but the only way for us not to would be to not provide
> one or the other.
And, (I havn't read the KDE license but assumed it was GPLed), unless KDE
requires us to bundle Qt with KDE, we don't have to include Qt....

> Qt isn't merely aggregated with KDE.  KDE binaries can only be built
> using Qt.  KDE binaries will not run unless Qt is present -- the Qt
> libraries are a part of the whole thing.
But Qt is still a seperate entity.  In that sense, Qt *is* aggregated with KDE.
 We don't have to include Qt in the distribution and if people want to
compile (or even run? I don't use KDE, either) KDE they have to go get the Qt
libraries.  I *do* use xfmail and when I wanted to compile the lastest version,
I went to the XForms website and got the latest set of libraries...

We might not want to ship KDE on moral grounds but, based on the conversation
with my uncle, I'd feel safe shipping GPL software that uses non-free libraries.

http://benham.net/index.html