Re: Possible Show-Stopper bug in X

On 18 Jul 1998, Gregory S. Stark wrote:
> > Brenden seemed to think it was related to PCI detection changes in the
> > 3.3.2.2 XF86 release which sounds right to me. Have you tried 3.3.2.2-2 ?
> > I'm about to try it tonight. Brenden didn't close the bug so I'm not
> > optimistic, but he did say it closed every critical bug so maybe.
>
> I just tried 3.3.2.2-2 and it didn't help. In fact it was much worse, it
> didn't correctly restore the text mode after the crash.

I have the PCI problem here(486 isa/vlb/pci, trident 9680 on pci), and
upgrading to -2 didn't help at all. I didn't make it any worse, however.

Starting X(or XF86_SVGA), starts up, display some messages(up to the font
path), switches to tty7, tries to switch to graphics mode, and dies.

Now, all I have to do is switch to another tty, and the textmode is still
alright. Oh well.

How many people/cards have this problem? Might it not be critical?

cd

|                       |               Chris Davis               |
|   cdavis@cois.on.ca   |        Computer Engineering OTO+1       |
|                       |           University of Toronto         |
| Developer, Linux port to the Sparc/Sun4 Architecture.           |