Re: Summary of KDE threads?

On Sat, Jul 18, 1998 at 08:30:15AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> Maarten Boekhold <maartenb@dutepp0.et.tudelft.nl> wrote:
> > So is there somebody who reads all and is willing to give a summary of
> > things said when the threads reach an end? I'm sure there are more people
> > interested in such a summary, and it also could be placed on the
> > web-site, so we have a document explaining our eventual choice.
>
> Quick summary: it's illegal to ship GPLed code which is a part of
> something which specifically requires both the GPLed code and some
> non-free code.  So we probably shouldn't be putting any GPLed code in
> contrib.

That's too large a brush. The "requires" in the sentence above only
refers to linking (be it static or dynamic) to non-free code. As far as
I know, contrib is also for free software which is only useful together
with non-free software, for example because it calls some non-free
program. That's perfectly legal under the GPL.

So simply grepping contrib for the word GPL and evicting any hits from
contrib is too simple.

The problem is that a Debian dependency can not easily be identified as
being a library dependency.

--
The idea is that the first face shown to people is one they can readily
accept - a more traditional logo. The lunacy element is only revealed