Re: Upcoming Debian 2.0 Release

On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 03:40:53PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:

> > --A6N2fC+uXW/VQSAv
> >
> > Previously Brian White wrote:
> > > I'm a bit torn on that issue.  This bug is specifically about the directo=
> > ry
> > > structure, which really should be the same as the rest of the distributio=
> > n.
> >
> > I'm having serious problem with the entire non-us setup. It still has no
> > slink and a security-fix for libssl has been sitting in incoming for about
> > two weeks IIRC.
>
> I was just going through the licences for the non-us stuff in an attempt to
> find out what we can put where for the CD's, and as far as I can see, the only
> non-us packages that would qualify for main (if we ignored US law) are:
>
>   apache-ssl
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^
This does not qualify for main (last I checked)...if I remember right...
it uses the RSAREF library...and according the licence on that library
you must obtain a special licence ($$$) from RSA to use it comercially
but it is otherwise free.
(I was reading abotu this a while ago...am I mistaken?)

> What I'd like to do, is integrate all these packages into their rightful place
> in the archive (on www.uk.debian.org), assuming that I can come up with an
> easy way for mirrors to exclude them (this should result in a mechanism where
> other countries can exclude different things.  Violent games for German
> mirrors, for example)

that would definitly be nice....sigh...would be even nicer if all these
silly governments didn't have the delusional idea that they have the
right to do what they do (<--- oh yea thats a big IMHO :) )

-Steve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"