Problem with apt

Using apt 1.1.0, I successfully upgraded from a february hamm to the
current (21 GMT Jul 16 1998) beta. When this was completed, "apt-get
update" no longer worked.

I did the upgrade in several stages - I did not like the idea of a 3
hour unattended download. "apt-get -s dist-upgrade | head -15" to get
a list of packages to upgrade, "apt-get install" to install them, and
once or twice on the way "apt-get update".

But after the upgrade, "apt-get update" no longer works. When Packages
file have been downloaded, it hangs with prograss at about 95%, and a
message about mtime. After a while, Perl complains about an
uninitialized variable, and nothing more happens. "apt-get install"
still works, though.

I have tried removing apt, removing everything in /var/cache/apt and
/var/state/apt, and reinstalling it. The problem persists.

I first noticed the problem after adding slink to
/etc/apt/sources.list. But removing slink did not solve the problem.

I hope debian-devel is the right forum for this. Although apt is not
in hamm, the released hamm is supposed to work with it, right? Of
course, there is probably some trivial problem with my setup. On the
other hand, may be not.

Jon