Re: Kaffe 1.0 beta debian package...

On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 12:24:51AM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
> Kaffe is the only VM (correct me if I'm wrong) which can actually be part of
> debian, since it is the only free VM.  So, the blackdown JDK port (and
> similar ventures) will, as long as they are non-free, not be part of debian.
>
> It may be appropriate to create a virtual package mechanism (for example,
> jdk-complete) which is only provided by blackdown-JDK, until kaffe becomes
> jdk-complete.  But this would of course drag any packages which depended on
> it into contrib.  Packages which *will* run under kaffe could merely depend
> on kaffe, and hence go into main.

I like this idea. I wonder if "jvm-base" and "jvm-sun" might be more
descriptive. Truthfully, it is not the VM that the dependency is on but the
class files.

As to the 1.0.2 absence, kaffe's classes throw a deprecated exception when
you call the 1.0.2 methods. I'm sure this would be easy enough to fix if
anyone gets irritated enough to do so, and since it's GPL you actually can.

I would note that it appears to support printing too, which I think is cool.
Especially since the Windows JDKs really don't work when it comes to printing.

Rewriting his code to use 1.1 conventions,