mandb index creation bug fixed?

I visited the bug db, but I couldn't find any responses. Funny, this
sort of bug should be easy to solve..

So, I ran mandb -d -c using strace, and it became obvious that it
couldn't write to /var/catman (funny, because user man has write
privileges to that dir).

For quick fix, I said chmod a+w /var/catman for one mandb run. After
this I removed the rights again.

Can someone tell me what kind of privileges that dir should have, and
under whose uid mandb should run?

I understand why this didn't work. I moved /etc/passwd from my old
RedHat system (had to, because of users), but I didn't think of
pseudousers (like man, adm, qmail etc) and forgot to save Debian
/etc/passwd before replacing it with my old password file. Still,
mandb should be able to tell there's an error (that it wasn't able to
write to /var/catman) which it doesn't tell. It just says that there's
nothing to update:

0 man subdirectories contained newer manual pages.
0 manual pages and 0 stray cats were added.

However, after giving w-rights to everyone in /var/catman, mandb
created an index, and then whatis and apropos started to work.

--
# Ed               GSM: 040 5960810     URL: http://lodge.ton.tut.fi/%7Eed/
#define NULL 0           /* silly thing is, we don't even use this */