Re: Kaffe 1.0 beta debian package...

> 1) It's wrong, lots of code runs under Kaffe, though maybe not yours

If you say it you probably know. But I really cannot imagine it is true...
Very simple gui with a couple of buttons, choices and text fields just
don't work. Choice items are not loaded (or not displayed), etc.

> 2) This isn't what Experimental is for. There's no prohibition against alpha
>    or beta software in the main distribution. There are plenty of other
>    packages of software still under development in the distribution.
>
> Experimental is for when you want to release a new version of a package that
> introduces severe changes that could break a working system. The increasing
> tendency to put everything in Experimental because the package might (horrors)
> have a bug in it is silly and counterproductive.

It depends. You wouldn't put very early and buggy version of egcs into the
main distribution, would you? Just innocent upgrade to not working Java
compiler or JVM could break a lot of things. Production code suddenly stops
working, ... Horrors. At least for me.
I think you should realize that people use Debian not only as a hobby but for
production.

Letting it into the main distribution is wrong. It is supposed to provide JVM,
but it doesn't.

Thanks.

Alex Y.
--