Re: Qmail - any alternatives? (Was: Status of qmail?)

And thus spake Jeff Noxon, on Wed, Jul 15, 1998 at 01:42:48PM -0500:
> I currently run qmail, and due to its licensing problems I'd rather not
> run it.  But is there another MTA that supports multiple user aliases
> similar to the way qmail does?  I find it tremendously useful to be able
> to have multiple jeff-xyz addresses for mailing list subscriptions and
> so on.

sendmail supports this; this is the feature most people call 'plussed
users'.

user+anything defaults to going to user's mailbox.

Depending on your sendmail configuration, there are many ways to use
this. Usually if you create a file .forward+whatever, mail to the
address user+whatever gets delivered using that .forward file. If you
are invoking procmail as a mailer from sendmail rather than from a
.forward, the +<foo> makes sendmail pass in foo as an extra argument
to procmail, usually available in $1.

You can also put user+foo in /etc/aliases, which overrides the definition
of where mail to just plain user goes if the +foo is there.

--
Elie Rosenblum <erosenbl at nyx.net>That is not dead which can eternal lie,
     <fnord at cosanostra.net>   And with strange aeons even death may die.