Re: Status of qmail?

Manfred Bartz <MBartz@werple.net.au> writes:

> When I was looking for a MTA, I had to start from scratch anyway -- no
> prior investment of any kind.  After some initial investigation qmail
> looked IMHO by far the best.  Even though I personally don't like
> DJB's coding style, I get a very strong impression that qmail has been
> engineered, possibly with the aid of formal, mathematically correct
> methods.
>
> By contrast, looking at the sendmail spaghetti and other sendmail-ish
> MTAs and their configuration language sent a shiver down my spine ;-)

FWIW, I started with sendmail, then switched to qmail because it
seemed substantially better, and finally switched to exim after
getting tired of the lack of a Debian package, and the "my way or the
highway" rhetoric [1], and after seeing how helpful/responsive the
exim community is.  I've never regretted it.  But I suppose this
probably belongs on alt.advocay.mda :>

[1] If all the upstream maintainers had DJB's attitute, it might be
very difficult for Debian to even exist.  It would certainly be
difficult to maintain its current consistency.  I don't want to
support that when there are good alternatives.