Re: Hamm Bug Stamp-Out List for July 18

James Troup <james@nocrew.org> writes:

> One possibility would be to manually strip it with an old strip from
> an older binutils (e.g. compile the strip from the m68k
> cross-compiling binutils source).

OK, here's another thought.  What about just not stripping it?  Here's
the difference:

  $ ls -l emacs-20.2*
  -rwxr-x---   1 rlb      rlb       4679629 Jul 14 23:06 emacs-20.2
  -rwxr-x---   1 rlb      rlb       2613108 Jul 14 23:07 emacs-20.2.stripped

It's not that huge a difference, and (if I now understand the issues
correctly) won't really have much affect at runtime on a Linux system.

I think the only loss would be the hard drive space, and though it's
not optimal, given the size of the rest of emacs 20, it may not be a
show-stopper.

Of course, in the future whenever I build a new package, I'll see if
stripping works.

Thoughts?