Re: Hamm Bug Stamp-Out List for July 10

[ Moving this over to debian-devel. ]

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

> > Package: emacs20
> > Maintainer: Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>
> >   24236  emacs20, postrm is broken..
>
> I've fixed this one, but I now have a strange problem.  Whenever I
> compile a new package, the resulting emacs20 binary segfaults on
> startup, but only when I try to install the pacakge.  Running the
> binary from the build directory works fine.  I'm trying to track it
> down.  Suggestions appreciated.

OK, I still don't know what the problem is, but I at least know which
build step is causing it.  Apparently stipping the emacs binary is the
problem.  The unstripped binary works fine.  Further, strip gives some
troublesome warnings:

  $ strip emacs-20.2
  BFD: sta20186: warning: allocated section `.data' not in segment
  BFD: sta20186: warning: allocated section `.bss' not in segment

Unfortunately I don't know enough about ELF to know what this is
telling me.  Anyone?

Thanks