Re: fistfight between libc6-dev and joystick

Package: joystick
Version: 0.8.0-4

Joystick should place joystick.h in /usr/include/linux/modules instead of
the current location in /usr/include/linux, which conflicts with
libc6-dev.

On Thu, 9 Jul 1998, Branden Robinson wrote:

> severity 17382 important
> thanks
>
> We still have the situation where upgrading libc6-dev obliterates
> /usr/include/linux/joystick.h (belonging to the joystick package) without
> notice or warning.  This is bad.  It affects seemingly unrelated operations
> on the system like...oh, I don't know, building xfree86.

/usr/include/linux/ is supplied by the kernel headers, and does not
contain joystick.h. It is not clear to me why dpkg removes it, as
libc6-dev doesn't claim to own it, but, in any case, the correct location
for this file is /usr/include/linux/modules, which dpkg does not "clobber"
when installing libc6-dev.

> I'm not about to argue with the gurus over what packages have stomping
> rights in /usr/include/linux.  I just know that everything that uses i386
> joysticks expects that header file there.  Folks with clues and/or
> solutions should of course reassign this bug if necessary.  Please, please
> fix it.

This will require that programs that "expect it there" will need to start
looking in the right place ;-)

> In exchange for upgrading this bug, the next release of xfree86 (the one I
> was trying to build when I got bit by this one) will fix *all* outstanding
> release-critical bugs against it -- including the one I had forwarded
> upstream.  I got a patch from XFree86 last night.

As a workaround, can you move the joystick.h file by hand into the correct
place, and adjust your includes accordingly?

Thanks,

Dwarf