Re: The XDM trap

On Tue, 7 Jul 1998 servis@purdue.edu wrote:

> *-Raul Miller ( 7 Jul)
> | Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> wrote:
> | > that's a problem. to implement my suggestion, a failure counter would
> | > have to be hacked into xdm itself, or maybe xdm could start a wrapper
> | > script which either exec-ed the X server or ran an endless loop if the X
> | > server died too often.
> |
> | Alternatively, you could hack this into X (X on debian systems is
> | just a little C program that reads /etc/X11/Xserver and executes it.
> |
> | It could keep timing information in some file in /var/state/.
> |
> | So it's doable, the question is: is this the right kind of solution?

hacking the X wrapper is a good idea. i forgot that X on debian was a
little wrapper program.

adding this functionality to the X wrapper is probably the best solution
to the problem.

> Why couldn't /etc/X11/xdm/Xreset be used as a place to do the failure
> counting?  It gets executed after the X server ends(fails).
>
> Please don't laugh or flame, suggetion and comments welcome, but this is
> a hack I threw together that could be used in Xreset(I am not a great
> scripter).  I have not had time to test it so be warned. Lots of ideas
> were taken from Craig's post showing the squid setup.
>
> [script fragment deleted]

this looks good too.

i wouldn't kill xdm, though. xdm might be being used to provide a login
screen for xterms or other unix/linux boxes.

maybe "sleep 600" or similar is the Right Thing to do instead of killing
xdm?

also, maybe this should be in Xreset_0 rather than Xreset??

craig

--
craig sanders