Re: A better apt...

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> There is the case of creating a system too complicated for anyone to
> effectively use. Maybe should look at full text searching (ala altavista)
> to perform selections. This is much more familiar and understandable.

That is worse than keyword searches.  I really don't think it would make
things too complicated if implemented well.  I really think it would add
a lot.

It would be complicated to implimente well though...  Maybe thats your
objection.

I just sounds a bit complicated at first.  All the user would have to do
is browse through the the list of topics and then perhapes chose an
interface like so:

+-------------------+------------------+
|  viewers          |  command line    |
|    eps            |  terminal        |
| *  gif            | *SVGA lib        |
| *  ps             | *X               |
+-------------------+------------------+
| pack.  desc.                     get |
| xv     desc text                 | | |
| gs     desc text                 | | |
| etc...                           | | |

Now whats so hard about that.

Do you just don't think it is worth implementing??

> Integrating Trove information would probably be a good idea once that
> matures a bit more - sounds like it would take care of alot of this.

Perhaps as from what I gather they have about the same target.  So are
they making a system too completed for anyone to effectively use????

However I will defently look into it.

However you still have to use it effectively.

> > It will server to make the package list look a lot cleaner as
> > something like:
> >
> > xemacs20-bin 20.4-5
> > xemacs20-mule 20.4-5
> > xemacs20-mule-canna-wnn 20.4-5
> > xemacs20-nomule 20.4-5
> > xemacs20-support 20.4-5
> > xemacs20-supportel 20.4-5
> >
> > Would all be collapsed into a group called xemacs20.  The group would
> > just be a package with nothing but a control file to describe stuff
> > that is common among all the packages such as the description of the
> > xemacs program the, rough version number (20.4), etc...  A new tag
> > called (perhaps) "base-package" in each of the individual packages
> > will simply contain the name of the base packages in this case it
> > would be:
>
> This I do like, though how many packages like this do we really
> have?

Enough to make it worth while and as packages get larger I their will be
more...