Re: Single-user vs multi-user system configuration suggestion

"Stephen J. Carpenter" <sjc@delphi.com> writes:

> Maybe a good idea would be to have a mechanism setup where any package
> that will not work "out of the box" should send an e-mail message (maybe
> have how the messgae is sent be configurable?) to the system admin
> (or some pre-designated acount).

This wouldn't work.  At lest not yet.  We don't (and currently can't)
assume that the system even has email set up, much less that the user
actually reads mail there, or (especially for users just getting
started) already knows how to use a mail program.

Actually, how about this.  First off, this is a user-level problem,
not a system level problem, so what we need is a user-level program
with user-level information (probably stored in ~/.somedir".

Why not have a program called say, "duser-configure-new" which
consults a file (~/.duser/installed.prev) listing all the packages
that were installed last time it was run and from that computes a list
of new packages.

Then, for each new package, it runs /usr/lib/duser/config/<package> (if it
exists).  This script could either do some extra configuration for the
user, or just print advice, and these scripts should be idempotent, so
if they accidentally get run twice (say you want to run them again
because you forgot what it said):

  duser-configure-new --force auctex

they don't do anything harmful.  Then when the run of all these
scripts is done, debian-user-configure-new takes a snapshot of the
currently installed packages for next time.

Packages that don't care about this, just don't put a file in
/usr/lib/duser/config/<package>...

Thoughts?