Re: system broken after upgrade to last hamm

Hello,

I had *exactly* the same problem as you have. I upgraded my system
(using dselect) and *crash*. Every program I started gave a
segmentation fault, and afterwards the system wouldn't boot anymore.

After checking the bug reports, I *think* that this is the 'LD
PRELOAD' bug in libc6 (#24216, #24201 and #23893, which are all the same
bug). My '/etc/ld.so.preload' isn't empty, and I expect that that's
the case with your systems too.

You can 'solve' it by making sure that '/etc/ld.so.preload' is empty
or doesn't exist and that the environment variable LD_PRELOAD isn't
set. However, I'll just wait until the bug is fixed before upgrading
again.

I do wish however that I'd seen this before. It would have saved me a
lot of time just booting with a rescue disk and then removing
/etc/ld.so.preload instead of restoring a backup (which luckily was
only one day old).

Greets,

Arnaud Gouder