Re: Intent to create a much nice WWW package viewer

--On Sat, Jul 4, 1998 7:53 pm -0400 "Kevin Atkinson" <kevina@clark.net>
wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Remember Me.

I do.

> Well this time I actually plan on doing something.  I plan on making a
> very very nice WWW interface for retrieving random packages (something I
> do all the time).

Cool idea.  Some comments, though.

First, generally.  Your general game-plan seems to be a clever package
downloader, with a nice interface.  What you are doing seems to me to be
something rather like a replacement for dselect - and your description
suggests to me that you are someone who uses apt, but not dselect, and
wishes for some of the dselect functionality.  We already have a project to
do this - and it's called apt.

The apt you see at the moment is simply the dependency resolution,
downloading, and install-time package ordering system.  The entirety of the
apt project will include a smart new user interface which is capable of at
least some of what you describe.

> Here is my game plan
>
> 1) Import all the package file in (bo, hamm, slink, project, Incoming)
> into a SQL database.  I am using an SQL database to greatly eaze things
> in the long one and to make it very eazy to create powerful searching
> faculties as well as being able to view package information in any
> number of formats.

A few specifics.

1) Use of Incoming should be very optional, with the default being off.
2) There is already a project in the works to move dpkg's internal databases
(currently text) to a binary format.  Or, at least, Ian Jackson has heavily
hinted that such a change is in the offing on several occasions.
3) You mean facilities, not faculties.  Faculties are quite different ;-)

> 2) Create the web interface for just looking at the packages and just
> downloading that packages
>
> 3) Work on being able to select more than one package at a time and work
> on a way to display all dependices (not just the ones directly related).
>
> 4) Here comes the big one.  Work on a way of finding out the setup of
> your debian configuration and work out any conflicts/dependencies.

[ingenious perl-server method deleted]

I imagine that could me made to work.  It's very clever - but what you have
adequately demonstrated is that your project is not really ideally suited
for the WWW.  In general, one should bear in mind that HTTP is primarily a
one-way information access protocol.

I am not quite sure what advantages your project would have over the GUI
version of apt, which I suspect is only a few months away anyway (Jason?)

> Unless I get an account on one of those machines I plan on doing the
> work at http://sunsite.unc.edu/kevina/debian/ using MySQL as I already
> have an account on sunsite and they have a mirror of the debian
> distribution (although hamm contains a symbolic link to itself)

As an aside, all developers have accounts on the debian machines, and
accounts are very rarely given to non-developers.  So if you're serious
about projects of this scope, I suggest you sign up as a developer.

> Cgi programming and organizing information is one of my strong points.
> Go to
> http://sunsite.unc.edu/kevina/ to look at some of the work I have done.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> And please be nice.