Re: creating a .deb with only tar and ar

    Joey> I don't think that's the whole story. Debian's ar seems to
    Joey> use the right magic number, something else in the format
    Joey> makes dpkg-deb reject packages made with straight ar.

You're absolutely right, Joey.  My posting was obviously unclear.  The
'magic number' in a deb is the same as that produced by ar.  What's
different is one of the ar header entries (relating to a date IIRC).
ar will happily accept the header entries generated by dpkg.  dpkg,
however, insists on this entry being what dpkg uses.  Otherwise you
get the error you mentioned.

all coders are created equal; that they are endowed with certain
unalienable rights, of these are beer, net connectivity, and the
pursuit of bugfixes...  - Gregory R Block