Re: creating a .deb with only tar and ar

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@earthlink.net> writes:
   On Thu, Jul 02, 1998 at 04:33:21PM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:
   > You mean like in deb(8)?  Or does=20
   >=20
   >        The  file is an ar archive with a magic number of !<arch>.
   >        Note that many modern versions of ar create archives  with
   >        different  magic  numbers.   Archives  created in this way
   >        will not be recognised by dpkg-deb, though these  ar  pro-
   >        grams do understand the magic number used by dpkg-deb.
   > =20
   > not fully describe the situation?

   It describes the situation, but not how to make the magic number be
   something dpkg will recognize if you're not using dpkg-dev to build the
   sucker.  Unless of course someone wants to make dpkg-dev available in
   nondebian.tar.gz for people not using Debian to be able to make .deb files
   for it.  That's really something that Debian is missing IMO.

The last time I checked, the dpkg source code was simply packaged in
.tar.gz since it's a Debian-specific package.  I don't think there's
any reason why this would have changed.