Installing bare Hurd [was: rms@santafe.edu: Hurd packager]

Hi!

 >> I realize that this isn't quite the same thread, however.. If
 >> anyone here has a hurd system running and could, perhaps, make a
 >> package or a tarball or whatever of the absolute base system

I'll try to do this as soon as I have my fast internet connection
working (this week sometime).

One of the features I'm trying to get working is to allow installation
of the Hurd root directory in a subdirectory of an existing partition.
That way, you can splat it on your primary partition without losing
your other data.

 RM> So is the hurd like a different architecture, where you have to
 RM> have separate binaries for everything?  [At one point I'd heard
 RM> that hurd could run unmodified linux binaries...]

The Hurd's potential for emulation is pretty huge, but it has not yet
been exploited.  You'll need separate binaries for the time being.

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org> //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
 Free information, free yourself. \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)

Copyright (C) 1998 FIG; the creator offers you this gift and wants it to
remain free.  See http://www.fig.org/freedom.html for details.
  This work is copylefted and may be copied, modified and distributed
  under the GNU General Public License (GPL); it comes with absolutely
  NO WARRANTY.  See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html.